Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Holy crap- when did THAT happen?

You know what's a terrifying thought? That moment when, out of the blue, you look at your life and realise "Holy shit. I'm a grown up! When did THAT happen?" Because really, I still don't FEEL particularly grown up. And when I look in the mirror, I don't SEE a grown up (immature man-child comes to mind, but not "grown up"), but the evidence is there, that when it comes to life, I'm definitely sitting squarely in the "adult" category.
And that scares the christ out of me.
Because look at me- I SHOULDN'T be an adult.

Adults know how to do things like their laundry BEFORE it gets to crisis levels and they're forced to either wash or buy new undies.

Adults know things about politics and the world in general. Or at least more than they do about the world in general in the DC Universe. Actually, do adults bother themselves with the fact fictitious universes exist?

Adults don't consult a Magic 8-Ball for major life decisions, to the extent where they download an App for it on their phone in case they need to make decisions on the run!

So, I've decided. Accompanying this epiphany, I'm making a concentrated effort to be more of a grown up here on in. Grown up decisions, grown up time management skills and grown up relationships (he says whilst listening to Legally Blonde: The Musical and playing with a Sonic Screwdriver and shopping for Cher Barbies in the other window)

I'm not sure why this whole thing has shocked me so much- I think it's because I've always expected there would be something that would LEAD to adulthood, instead of a general merge that you don't notice coming. I mean, if my life were a TV show, and had been for several years as I've always maintained, surely we're reaching that awkward stage where the audience realises they're all far too old for these dramas! So it's settled. We either need to spin off into a more age-appropriate setting, or risk cancellation. And I don't DO cancellation.

So. Grown up. Spread the word.


No comments: