Friday, December 19, 2008

Full of fail

People who know me well know that one of my major pet peeves is people wearing Superhero shirts without having even the most basic understanding of who it is they're promoting. You know the ones I mean- the teenyboppers sporting Aquaman shirts, or Green Lantern symbols, or even in a few instances, the cheesy grin of Captain Marvel. I know it's a petty concern, but as someone that devotes an ungodly amount of time and energy into these characters and their stories and mythologies, it pisses me off.

Imagine how I must have felt then, today, when a girl came in to work wearing a shirt that said "Anything Boys can do, Girls can do Better!!!" with the smiling images of Wonder Woman, Batgirl (The Barbara Gordon version) and Supergirl (Pre crisis, of course). Now, the sentiment of the shirt isn't the problem. Actually, it's admirable enough, and I applaud it. But could it have picked worse characters to attempt to make its point?

We're comparing Barbara Gordon to Bruce Waynes Batman, are we? Really? Now, don't get me wrong- I love Babs. A lot. Batgirl: Year One was one of the most enjoyable comic stories I've ever read. I think she's one of the better female characters on the market. But better, or as good as Batman? Barbara Gordon? Remember this?


Batman RIP aside, Bruce is still fighting crime dressed as a bat, while Babs was shot and crippled by the Joker in The Killing Joke.

And Supergirl? I admit, I don't know a great deal about the Pre Crisis Supergirl, apart from the fact that she fell in love with a Super Horse at some stage (WTF, silver age. WTF?), but if we're saying she was as good, if not better than Superman, should we take a look at one of the most iconic comic book images of all time?
Killed in Crisis on Infinite Earths. I know Superman died as well one time, but at least he got better!

So, in my incredulity, I felt the need to point this out to said customer, by way of laughing and asking if she knew why her shirt was hilariously stupid. When she said no, I laughed and said "Well, WW is ok, but Batgirl was shot and crippled, and that Supergirl has been dead for 20 years. It's really not proving your point at all!"

She got all pissy and defensive, and her friend pointed out Batman had his back broken as well. So I rolled my eyes and said yeah, he did- further proving Batmans superiority- he cured himself of a broken back!

Now, it's possible this opens up a whole new can of worms about comic book misogyny and the treatment of female characters in the genre, and maybe there should be some sensible discussion about the comparison between male and female characters, i admit. Would probably be all sorts of interesting to read. But here is not the place. I just want to vent, because, hell, lady- your stupid shirt is full of fail.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

>>Now, it's possible this opens up a whole new can of worms about comic book misogyny and the treatment of female characters in the genre, <<

Erm, no. I think it says a lot more about your NERD! Holy FUCK, man! Holy fuck. I knew it was there, I really did, but somehow I didn't realise how much. Wow. I love you Mike, but wow. I swear, I read that entire post with my jaw dropped going, "he doesn't really know this, does he?" but then you had supporting evidence for your argument. And the fact that there even was an argument.

I hope you don't take this comment as me being a bitch (just take my existence as me being a bitch), I really am just in shock, and I think it's very funny and you're so effing cute!!!

Beau. said...

Ditto to Sarahs comment.

Trent said...

Ah Mike, you really take nerd-om to a whole new level :p

Mind you, I got a book titled 'On the sexuality of terrorism' for Xmas and was quite excited....

Each to their own I s'pose *POW*