Wednesday, September 16, 2009

All good things...

You know, I think I can honestly say, I'm on the BEST reading streak of my entire life. It's fantastic. It started when I picked up "Let the Right One In" on a whim, despite my almost deathly aversion to things I expect to scare the crap out of me, and it's lasted all the way up till now. Actually, it may have even started before that, I just can't for the life of me remember what I was reading then...

Let the Right One In

Brilliant. Vampire story with REAL vampires, not this sparkly, romantascised, Stephenie Meyer claptrap. Actually, as basic stories go, this one almost reminded me a little of Twilight, if Twilight were done properly. What we have here is a story that so subtly plays its vampire/ human romance that the whole thing comes off as slightly believable, and completely beautiful, as opposed to vaguely peadophilic and entirely creepy. And the best part is, it didn't scare the hell out of me like I expected it to!

Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

I think everything that can be said, has been said about this one. One of the simplest, yet most powerful holocaust-related books I've ever read. The sense of childish innocence gives this such a unique tone, it's hard to put it down. And that ending- I think almost everyone knows the twist ending by now, and god I wish I didn't know it beforehand, but it's utterly fabulous.

King Solomons Mines

I'm not sure what inspired me to pick this one up. I do love a good adventure story though, and figured this was one of the first, so why not give it a go. You know that feeling you get when you read a "classic", where you just can't get into it, because it's so far removed stylistically from anything you usually read (or is that just me?) This manages to completely bypass that awkwardness, and just manages to be a kick ass, fun story. And Allan Quatermain is NOTHING like the pussy Sean Connery made him look like in that fuckawful League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie. He's a no nonsense, elephant killing, treasure finding BASTARD. I love it.

The Road

Another one of those books that you want to finish in one sitting, it's a bleak, post-apocalyptic tale about a man and his son attempting to survive. That's it. They're not surviving with any point or purpose- survival is the entirety of their plan, and it's fantastic. It doesn't give in to the cliche of most end of the world stories and become Mad Max at any stage, it's just the story of these two people, and how they are one anothers entire world. It was gorgeous. And when I say bleak, trust me. Thats not me talking crap.

Me Talk Pretty One Day

I finally decided to give David Sedaris a try after hearing so many good things about him. Turns out they were justified. He was hilarious. I'm starting to develop an affinity for these types of books, as well, humerous memoirs about people I can imagine hanging out with.

Sadly though, all good things must come to an end, and now I'm reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I've mentioned before how sometimes I read things I know I'm not going to love, because I feel to be good at my job I occasionally have to read what the masses are reading, but when it breaks a streak like this, jesus it's hard to do. Who knows. Dan Brown may manage to surprise me this time...

No comments: