Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Bah. Humbug.


Ugh. It's that time of year again. It's weird, you know. As someone that LOVES Christmas (let's be honest- what's not to love. It's an excuse to wear tinsel, everything sparkles, and once a year, it's socially acceptable to sing Christmas Carols to your hearts desire) I really, REALLY hate the entire song and dance that surrounds my least favourite part of the season: The Work Christmas Party

I'm not sure what I find SO repulsive. Maybe it's the idea of being forced to spend time with people you already have to see far too regularly in a social setting against your will. Perhaps it's the inevitable small talk of "So. How's work?" that ensues when people that really have very little to discuss are forced to discover some sort of common ground, regardless of how tenuous or droll. OR, maybe I'm just antisocial. Who can say? 

But, regardless of the reason, the fact remains. This Friday night is my work Christmas party, and I'm looking forward to it about as much as I'm looking forward to The Hobbit. Which is none. Because fuck Tolkein. It's not even because I dislike my workmates! I don't! I genuinely like a whole bunch of them- they're solid peeps. But the idea of standing around at a work function (after spending eight hours at work that day already!) just doesn't excite me. And you can tell I mean it, because I'm using far more exclamation marks than is socially acceptable. 

Never mind. I'll probably go. My indignation and uptight morality do tend to waver somewhat when faced with an open bar. So I'll drink their free wine. But I wont enjoy it. How's THAT for Christmas Spirit?

No comments: