Thursday, October 23, 2008

Epic Fail, A&R

I'm a sucker for lists, and being a "book person", Angus & Robertsons Top 100 would, presumably, be right up my alley. Last year, I made it my goal to read each and every book on there, thus opening myself up to a wonderful new world of literary treasures I would have otherwise never discovered, or continued putting on my "To read" pile (which is getting ridiculously large as it is) and never actually getting around to. So, I'm still plowing my way through the 2007 list, when I notice the other day, they've released the new one. And I'm not real happy about it.

Firstly, in the number one spot? The Harry Potter SERIES. That's right. Put aside the fact that Australia has decided the Harry Potter series is the greatest piece of literature on the face of the planet for a second. That's seven books!! How can that be Number One???? Which is bad enough, but then, in position four? The Obernewtyn Chronicles! That's another five books! So already, this "Top 100" has become a "Top 110". And making it even more annoying, Eragon and Eldest are listed seperately, in positions 52 & 66, which means the list doesn't even follow its own logic!

Another one of my MAJOR issues with the list? The Australian public are clearly idiots. The Secret (22), Pillars of the Earth (34), A New Earth (39), World Without End (69) and The Last Lecture (79)? All featured on Oprah. I'm not sure why this annoys me so much, but it does. It may just be residual anger from the Oprah-philes that swarm work like Zombies whenever Queen Whinfrey tells them they HAVE to read this latest book that moved her to tears. Mob mentality is bringing down the integrity of the list.

And, finally, the Author Bias. Jodi Piccoult, Matthew Reilley and Bryce Courtenay seem to make up about a third of the fucking books on there! And really, can people HONESTLY say that Matt Reilly deserves a spot on the greatest novels of all time? Ice Station is fun, but really? Come on.

It's not all negativity though. I did like that Pride and Prejudice and To Kill a Mockingbird were both still in the Top 10. And it made me happy to see The Book Thief at number 7. I liked seeing The Princess Bride and American Gods both earnt a mention, and it HAS inspired me to finally read Fight Club, so I guess all is not lost!

And it isn't just the fact that I work for the competition, either. Angus & Robertson just put out a shit list this year.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Listen up, Michael, if that is your real name, I'm not a "zombie" for going out and reading the books Oprah suggests. I use my own FREE WILL to decide that Oprah is God and is never mistaken and how can anything she suggests be bad because she has read them all personally because she said so on her show and she would never lead me astray and is my ticket into heaven, therefore I must do everything she says.

Zombie? Bitch, please. More like "avid worshipper". Get it right.

Suzanne said...

I'm with you, although I'm actually quite tickled that Obernewtyn got so high. How awesome.
I'm reading the book thief now! although I'm split. I LOVE the narrator voice but I avoid holocaust novels like the plague. So I'm attracted and repulsed.

You know I just read a "classic" that I didn't hate? It was really good and, erm, surprising. It was Lady Chatterly's Lover, and its crazy brave for the time period. Will blow your MIND, foo'.

Bones said...

Sarah, thats JUST the kind of talk I'd expect from a Zombie. How convenient. :p

And Suzanne, the Book Thiefs ridiculous level of awesomeness manages to negate the Holocaustiness of the book- you'll love it!