Monday, February 9, 2009

Does this mean I'm giving up?

Quite possibly. Because, suprisingly, the idea of reading all 100 books on Angus and Robertsons list is starting to SERIOUSLY PISS ME OFF! I realised today that I'm spending all this time plowing through books I really don't care about, like Eragon, or The Secret, or anything by Matthew Reilly, and it's causing me to bypass books I actually want to read! I work in a bookstore, I'm constantly being exposed to things that look like they could be amazing works of literature, and yet I'm avoiding reading them to make my way through this ridiculous list. It's dumb.
So, while I'll continue to use it as a guide (which is why I'm still planning to read "Persuasion" by Jane Austen) I'm not letting it dictate my reading patterns anymore. I'm now free to read all the fabulous books I've looked at with longing recently, like Incendiary, by Chris Cleave. Or Berlin Noir by Phillip Kerr. And the Ingenious Edgar Jones by Elizabeth Garner. Or Neil Gaimans entire back catalog. There are so many I've been dying to pick up!
So while it's sad that I wont accomplish my goal of reading each and every book, I think the fault really lies with Angus and Robertson for picking such crappy books.

No comments: