Friday, February 27, 2009

Driven to hatred

Confession time. I read, AND ENJOYED, the entire Twilight saga. I fell madly in love with Edward. I wore glitter to work for the Breaking Dawn release, so I'd sparkle like a vampire. I got caught up in the whole thing, and it was fun. I'll admit it. But the other day, I came to a realisation. I HATE Twilight now. Sorry Edward, but I do. Although I should say, it's not you, it's me. Or rather, it's not you, it's your fans.
I have never met as big a group of socially retarded misfits as the Cullen Groupies that seem to swarm the bookstore, purchasing every piece of inane bullshit conceivable, so long as it has"Twilight" stamped on it somewhere! Action figures. Tote bags. T Shirts. Books on how lovely Robert Pattinson is (although the more I see him, the more I get that creep "serial killer" vibe from him... which I guess is a good thing, considering he's playing a vampire...) Badges. Bookmarks. It's ridiculous! But not NEARLY as ridiculous as the reaction teh fans have when they stumple across some new piece of tripe. They shriek. And hyperventilate. This is NOT an exaggeration- I've witnessed it on multiple occasions, and it's embarrasing!
And the worst part is when they come to registers and want to discuss with me! I'm sorry, kids. I'm NOT talking about Twilight with you. I don't care that you want to marry Edward. I don't care if you're Team Edward or Team Jasper. Honestly. I don't even care that you've read the books 417 times. Please stop telling me.
And I feel bad for feeling this way. Like some sort of grumpy old man who just needs to rain on everybodies parade, but it honestly isn't like that! Like I said, I was caught up in it as much as anybody else 8 months ago. But I can only put up with so much, and these crazy buffoons have taken any enjoyment out of it- I'm ashamed to admit I've read the books now, for fear of being thought of as part of the same rabid fandom! And I don't understand where the level of lunacy comes from. Why these books? And why such extreme reactions? It defies explanation. I suppose the only thing certain in the whole thing is that Stephanie Meyer tapped a very eager market. And I hate her a little for it.

No comments: