Sunday, February 22, 2009

Now for something completely different

I'm a big fan of musicals. Like, a HUGE fan. (Damn you stereotypical gay gene. Damn you to hell) And because I enjoy such a wide range of musicals, I often find myself rocking out to songs that other people have never heard of, or at least aren't as familiar with as I am. And so, without further delay, I'd like to introduce you to five of my favourite songs from musicals you may never have heard of!!! Isn't this exciting!!! Look at all the exclamation points!!!!! I'm Matthew Reilley!!!!!!

#1: Doctor Horribles Singalong Blog- On the Rise



I know a lot of the people that read this blog will already know this one, but it's still a great musical, and this is a great song.

#2: Zanna Don't- I Think We Got Love



Zanna Don't is a gorgeous little musical about how it's OK to be Straight. Such a fantastic concept, a world where same-sex relationships are the accepted norm and the blooming love between a boy and a girl, and Zannas attempts to magically unite them. I <3 it. It's SO cute.

#3: Little Shop of Horrors- Suddenly Seymour



This has been one of my favourite movies of all time since I was about 16, and this song is a big part of why. So earnest and emotional. Suprisingly so, for a musical that is, essentially, about a man-eating plant.

#4: Legally Blonde- So Much Better



The most common response when I mention Legally Blonde: The Musical, is undoubtedly "They made THAT into a musical? Oh God!". Well, yes. They did. And what a fucking musical it is, too! Seriously, Legally Blonde is SO MUCH BETTER (ooh look, a pun!) than it has any right to be, but it managed to become one of my favourite musicals ever. And Laura Bell Bundy makes me wish I was straight. I can't even THINK of Reese Witherspoon in the role of Elle anymore. LBB owns it.

#5: Avenue Q- Everyones a Little Bit Rascist



There was a lot of deliberation on this spot (one fairly obvious ommission will be rectified in a post soon...) but ultimately, Avenue Q is one of the coolest things I've ever heard. And this song cracks me up every time. I can't WAIT for the Australian Tour in a few months!

So, dear reader. Thats a little glimpse behind the curtain that is my brain. I hope you enjoyed it- and if you know of any awesome musicals I've not mentioned, tell me about them! I'm always looking for new ones!

2 comments:

Whateverman. said...

I need to see Legally Blonde musical!!

Add it to our camp night!

Sarah said...

Wow. No Disney songs. You need to correct it to stage musicals. :P I'm totally going to one-up you and do a Disney post.