Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Anticimactic Apocalypse

You know how, in your head, you can build an upcoming event up so bad that you're convinced it's going to reach near apocalyptic levels of awfulness? Well, imagine that you're as melodramatic as me, and then imagine how bad I can make an event seem. That's pretty bad.

And to my embarrassment, that's exactly what I did with last Saturday night. I was so convinced that my nieces birthday party was going to be absolute ass-loads of awkward, to the point where I almost contemplated calling in sick to the function and staying home under the covers, rocking myself to sleep in a pool of shame and sweat. Why would a simple birthday do be so unpleasant? Because it's Michael's side of the family, of course, and I had been forewarned that he and his boyfriend were both going to be in attendance. Hence the awkward. But, at the end of the day, I decided going was something I needed to do. I still consider them all family, and as such, love them all a great deal, and dammit, I'm not going to let a little awkwardness stop me from seeing my goddaughter on her birthday. So, I loaded Yosh into the car, and we were off.

And, as with most things that you allow yourself to imagine are going to be ridiculously unpleasant, the reality of the situation was a lot better than expected. In fact, I had a fantastic night. I don't get to see my Singleton family nearly enough, and I hate that. I loved seeing everyone, and hopefully wont let it be quite so long before I see them all again.

Of course, it helped immensely that the ex was mysteriously absent from the night, which may have been the reason for the complete lack of awkward, but whatevs. I had a blast. :-D

No comments: