Monday, April 13, 2009

Week 11: Art Attack

Mission Eleven: Create an art.
Status: Accomplished

The obvious flaw with this post, as I'm sure you've noticed, is that week eleven actually occurred almost three weeks ago. Now, I do assure you, the task for the week was completed in the allocated time, I've just been waiting for my partner in crime to come back and help me polish it up. Due to scheduling conflicts though, I've decided to post the unfinished masterpieces, because dammit, art doesn't need to look pretty to be art.

My good friend Miss Bee was very excited when she heard that I was setting out to create some form of art this week, being an art school attendee herself, and thus, we decided to get our art on together. Her suggestion? Organic Abstractions. Thats the fancy art-wank term for making a mess with balloons and plaster of paris, I think. Whatever- it was fun!

The process involved mixing up a bucketload of plaster of paris, then attempting to ladle the mixture into balloons, which is a lot more difficult than it sounds. This is because a balloon, surprisingly, doesn't take kindly to being plied with cement, and does everything in its power to force the hardening liquid back out, where it will ideally land on your face, or some other equally inconvenient surface. But after much wrestling and brainstorming, we got enough of it in to let it set, and thus, our organic abstractions were created.


Now, ideally, these will be painted, and I'll post THAT final product when it's completed, but for the time being, we have these. The pictures really don't do them justice, they actually look seriously cool in real life, and regardless, Miss Bee and I had an absolute blast getting messy and creating them. In the NWWBW spirit, she's already brainstorming our next art-tastic project, meaning that's ANOTHER person signed up to the cause. This things like a virus. But in a good way!

No comments: