Monday, August 3, 2009

MUST READ!!!!




Again with me giving you your reading orders, but honestly, have I steered you wrong so far? I’m not sure if you recall, but several months ago, I wrote about a book called Incendiary by Chris Cleave, singing its praises and worshipping him as an author? I’ve finally gotten around to reading his second novel, The Other Hand, and all I can say is... Whoa. Actually, I can say a lot more that that, and I’m about to.


The marketing of this book is absolutely phenomenal, in that the blurb deliberately reveals NOTHING about it whatsoever, instead claiming that the beauty of this novel is in discovering it for yourself. It also implores you, when talking of this book to friends, that you don’t tell THEM what happens either. Now, call me a cynic, but upon reading something like that, my first response is always skepticism, thinking they’re using an interesting hook to spruik a not very interesting book. But, intrigued, I tried i anyway. And thank god I did- this book was amazing. Utterly amazing. Realistic, morally ambiguous characters, heartbreaking, inevitable situations, humour, hope, despair, everything. It’s a wonderful, wonderful book. I think it’s safe to say I’m onboard with ANYTHING Chris CLeave writes from here on in. The man is amazing. 


At the bookshop I work at, we can borrow any book we want to read, so long as it comes back in perfect condition. I finished reading The Other Hand, jumped in the car, drove straight to work and paid for it. It’s just that good. 


No comments: