Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Uneducated but relieved

I learnt this morning, via a phonecall at 7am that Fraser Island is experiencing a major fucking tropical cyclone. The SAME Fraser Island that Jenna-Lee, my baby sister, moved to about a month ago. WTF!
My ex mother-in-law, whom I still love dearly, called me early this morning, and I answered, fearing the worst (no one calls before 8 with good news) which is why I was so shocked when she asked how Jenna was. Of course, trying to act casual, I pointed out my sis had moved up north and was having the time of her life, I spoke to her the other night, she's fine, blah blah blah.

Silence ensued, followed with: "Michael, you haven't seen the news in a few days, have you?"
She then had to fill me in on the fact that the island has been evacuated, and I believe, in technical terms, "Shits goin down." Holy fuck.

So I start trying to reach my mother. Without success. Starting to panic slightly, I decide to go straight to the source and ring Jenna. Who answers quite chirpily to inform me that yes, the island was evacuated, but no, she decided to stay on-island for the duration. Why? Because she's never seen a cyclone before.

Honestly, if I ever doubted she was my sister, that settles it.

No comments: