Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bored of the Rings

Confession time. And considering I work in a bookstore, this is a biggie. I HATE Lord of the Rings. Not mildly dislike, but actively hate. And it saddens me. I've tried, on many an occasion, to read and enjoy the books, but I just can't. They just don't engage me in any way, shape or form. And I can't understand the fanatical devotion they inspire in people. For years, I assumed I was just missing something with them, because that large a fandom surely can't be wrong, but nope. Now I'm prepared to come right out with it and admit I hate the.
Has anybody noticed just how frigging BORING they are? How desperately in need of an edit they seem to be? How nothing happens, for like, 200 pages? So how does it build up the *ahem* fellowship that it has? I honestly don't understand!
Now, I thoroughly enjoyed the films, and think that a lot of peoples claims of "Oh, I LOVE LotR" comes from having thought great movies automatically translated into great books (you see that a lot in a bookshop- tryhards attempting to trick you by jumping on a bandwagon without having read the book in question) but that doesn't explain how they've sustained for so long. Is it because the readers are unaware that there is BETTER fantasy out there? Because lets face it- there is. Robin Hobb, Raymond E Feist, christ, even David Eddings spins a better tale than Tolkein managed.
Is it because Tolkein gets thought of with an air of cheery nostalgia, that flaws that would cripple another author tend to be glossed over, with arguments of "Well, he's the first, and he has SUCH a good imagination"?
Or, was I simply right the first time, and I'm missing some crucial part of my brain necessary to enjoy Lord of the Rings?

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Not alone. I've tried multiple times and just can't do it. Aragorn breaks into song too often.

That said I have alot of respect for Tolkeins world-creation. If I remember right it took him ten years to make the world, write the languages, design the maps etc. and only two to actually do the story. Thats dedication. Though I'm not one hundred percent convinced he HAD to write a new language, I respect him for doing so. And I love the world creation aspect of fantasy. Love it. Thats why I read that stuff.

Julian James said...

pssssst I completely agree.
Though don't tell anyone, my brother has elvish tatooed on his arm for Christs sake, even made that pilgrimage to New Zeland that many sheep make.

I think it was the dedication thing, he did make up an entire language! That deserves recognition. how many authors can say that? So really I'm saying people read it out of respect...or pity. Unsure which. Also i think there is a belief that the majority must be right, so people just don't question it. "The Council of Elrond" always kills me, the trick is to skip all the bits where people break into song. I know it sounds blasphemous to a person who loves musicals, but you'll thank me later

2 questions
1) Why do you call yourself bones?
2) Can civilians make tasks for you?

Bones said...

Civilians can definitely suggest tasks! If you don't want to suggest them here, I can always be reached via email on michael-schofield@live.com

As for the Bones thing... well, that sounds like it could make a blog entry of it's own! Watch this space... :)