Thursday, May 7, 2009

Week 15- Live as a Rabbit

Mission Fifteen: Spend a week as a Vegetarian
Status: Accomplished


This weeks task was a late addition to the game, based on a challenge that was handed to me by a full-time, proper vegetarian, but I do love a challenge and thought it seemed at home amongst the rest of my little tasks.
I will admit, my first thought was "Pfft. How hard could it be?". I mean, it's not like I was being asked to only eat things that started with W. Or I was only allowed foods that were blue, or something difficult like that. Vegetarianism is fairly common- surely if there was even a degree of difficulty to it, people wouldn't bother. Right?
Well, yes and no. The first thing I noticed was how HARD it was thinking of things to eat for major meals. Breakfast and lunch are ok, you don't normally devour whole cows for those meals anyway, but dinner? That's a toughie! It's just so ingrained to head to the meat department of the supermarket, that removing it from the equation makes things about ten times harder. Especially once I'd already cooked a Vegetable Stor Fry- that didn't leave me many places to go.
So, my diet basically consisted of potato gems, vegetarian nachos and sandwiches. So whilst I managed to maintain my faux-vegetarianism, it certainly wasn't the most exciting week, food-wise.
I enjoyed doing it though, so I think I'll give it another go in a few weeks, I'll just be slightly better prepared for the whole thing, and actually think it out in advance. You can only handle a salad so many times in one week, you know?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

OMLETS!!! Fritattas!! You're only vegetarian, not vegan, so you can do anything with eggs. Quiche!! Oooh, I love eggs. Plus, protein, so win-win.

Bones said...

I don't eat eggs :-(