Sunday, May 24, 2009

Shock horror!

Guess who's going to be an uncle again? (Me. The answer is me, in case you had trouble) Mum rang me the other night to inform me Ben (my 18 year old brother) has managed to get his equally eighteen year old girlfriend pregnant. So while this will, technically, be my 9th niece/nephew (there should be a good, gender-neutral term for that. It would make life so much easier...) it IS the first one that I'm related to by blood, so it's a pretty huge deal.
It IS a sign of how judgemental people assume I am that mum felt the need to prewarn me of the fact so that I wouldn't cause a scene in front of the happy couple (not that it was an unjustified fear of hers, but still. They ARE only 18. I was bound to have an opinion...)
You'll be proud to hear I didn't mention any of the NUMEROUS things I'm worried about on their behalf when I saw them. I wanted to, and at first I was going to, because, let's face it, I'm a worrier, and this is a situation that COULD, conceivably, be a logistical nightmare.
But then I stopped and thought it through for a bit. At the end of the day, this ISN'T my melodrama. All I need to do is take the news for the happy event that it is. Ultimately, that's the extent of my input, and I'm ok with that.
Look at me, I think I'm growing as a person! Who would have imagined- all this self-discovery I've been harping on about this year must have paid off. And look- I'M GOING TO BE AN UNCLE! My baby brother is having a baby. And I'm completely excited about it and happy for them. This is a good thing. And thus the mission to get them to name the baby "Liza" begins! :D

2 comments:

Beau. said...

=O Wholey crap.

And don't even bother with the name, you know it won't happen. Unless you don't tell him the relevance, maybe. ;)

Suzanne said...

This is how a work colleague explained the plus side of early babies: you actually do have the energy to go running through the playground with them, and they'll be out of home by the time your 40 (which isn't particularly old). And I mean, if they're both totally happy about having a baby then that's awesome. Biologically it is really a far better idea to have kids young. Though understandably if you aren't one to be in the family way at a young age its a bit hard to get your head around.

Which is a long and stupid way of saying good luck to them, and congrats to you!