Monday, May 11, 2009

Get your nerd on!

Ever since I've been old enough to talk, I've been able to utter the phrase "Live long and prosper". I know the history of the Federation better than I know the history of my own countrys government, and I look down on people that don't know their Klingons from their Cardassians. So I was expecting to have tremendous issues with the new Star Trek movie. Want to hear something shocking though? I thoroughly enjoyed it! Sure, I had issues with it (which I'll get to soon) but on the whole, it exceeded my expectations. Admittedly, they were kinda low, but still, it was a good movie.
It did exactly what it set out to do, which was return the original crew to screens, got Star Trek back to basics, and just provide a ripping sci-fi romp. I'm not gunna get caught up on the reasons why it was awesome. There are lots. And you'll probably see it anyway, so it's a waste of both our time.
So lets get right down to issues I had with the film, yeah? Because honestly, who loves a good whinge more than me? No one. That's who.

1. I can't go past the continuity erasing aspect of the film. I'm sorry, I KNOW that makes me a nerd, but I have a huge beef with it. Although the fact that they even use the phrase "alternate reality" in the film did make me happy, because you can imagine it coexisting with the traditional Trek universe, instead of outright replacing it. Sort of like the Mirror Universe, I guess. Just so long as, in the 24th Century of SOME universe, Jean Luc Picard still captains the Enterprise E, I'm happy.

2. The Drill. WTF. Two men can destroy the damn thing with a pulse rifle each. No one on either planet (Vulcan or Earth) thought to shoot at it? Really? My first thought (after "What the fuck is that??") would have been "Oh jesus! Shoot it!!!!". Stupid Vulcans.

3. Nero. Seemed like a cool bad guy for the first few minutes, but really, kinda lame. He poonced about the 23rd century for 25 years? Shit, dude! The logistics of that are astounding! How did he manage that? Where did he refuel? No one noticed him at all, in all that time? Although I did like the way he reacted to Kirk, as though he was ggenuinely excited to be meeting such a historical figure. And kicking him in the face. But it felt like they were trying to make him Spocks Kahn, so it felt kinda depressing that Quinto and Bana didn't have more screen time together. Or even Bana and Nimoy. His whole driving force was hatred for Spock, but it was never REALLY shown. That was a shame.

They were my major issues. Everything else was really cool- effects, casting, writing, I loved it all. It will be interesting to see where Star Trek goes from here, be it with new movies, TV series, whatever. And will they just let the old continuity slowly fade away? Or will they pump it in the Expanded Universe stuff? How exciting!!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Who loves a whinge more than you? ME!

I just don't get the Winona Ryder thing. Why was she in it? Why wouldn't they just get someone older to play her part because the wrinkle makeup was distracting. I would have understood it if there were flashbacks to her youth so they needed a younger actress... I just don't get it. She isn't even relevant. Why not get an awesome older actress?
That is all.

Bones said...

Why does she get work AT ALL?

We've spoken about this before...